Re: Amerindian navigators and Eurocentrism in scholarship

In article <341b467b.518910967@news.mindspring.com>, WWallace@freedom.org
(William Wallace) wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 23:19:27 -0700, hgibbons@spamproof.stic.net (Hugh
> Gibbons) wrote:
>
> >In article <3419c63b.420544741@news.mindspring.com>, WWallace@freedom.org
> >(William Wallace) wrote:
>
> >>         Even in the most primitive "things that float" found have
> >> streamlining of some sort. About the only thing that doesn't is river
> >> barges that do not move under their own power.
>
> >Irish used to use round "coracles", which must have been rather ungainly
> >in the water, but they could get from Britain to Ireland.
>
>         I am not familiar. Are you saying they are rectangular?

As I said, they were round.  It's different than most boats in that
it's not long and relatively narrow.  I don't know why the made them
that way, but they did.  They wouldn't be very easy to steer or move
in the water, but maybe not as bad as a rectangular raft.  I was just
pointing out that early Amerindians weren't the only people to ever
take to sea in boats that were not like typical modern ones.

--
*                     NO                         *
*          I will not send you money.            *