Re: maize in ancient india: strong transpacific links are indicated

> Well, ladies and gentlemen, some of you may have followed these
> discussions about trans-Pacific diffusion of cultural traits and
> other things for a while. Did the people of Asia and America
> communicate with each other across the ocean before Columbus? What
> about those ancient sailors?
>

> *********
>
> Carl L. Johannessen and Anne Z. Parker, MAIZE EARS SCULPTURED IN
> 12TH AND 13TH CENTURY A.D. INDIA AS INDICATORS OF PRE-COLUMBIAN
> DIFFUSION, in Economic Botany, 1989, 43 (2): 164-180.
>
> *********

This is the same thing which was published arount this
time in Nature (I don't remember the exact year, medline
searches where not successful, perhaps because scientific
correspondence is not indexed).
Anyway, as I said, all these comparisons to Indian scuptures
are bogus.
A few issues later in the same issue of Nature was a clear
refutation, showing that there are many other examples
in which it becomes clear that what in some cases might
look like a maize cob is actually something totally different.

This is the third time I bring this up within 1 month in
this newsgroup, and several others have already mentioned
this is an old hat.  So, scientists have not at all
ignored the "THIS" smoking gun.  Just turned out not
to be a smoking gun.
Thanks for all these citations from this paper,
but apparently it wasn't worth the time you put into it.
If the scultures really are so detailed (22 points),
why the heck doesn't the whole piece look like a corn cob?
To me it looks more like an upside down bunch of grapes.

Thomas Burglin