Re: chicken in America: from Asia? (cont.)

Domingo Martinez-Castilla (agdndmc@showme.missouri.edu) wrote:
: In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.961214112916.16943A-100000@helium.gas.uug.arizona.edu>, Jeffrey says...

: >Or, perhaps "hualpa" was the name of a bird indigineous to the Andes.
The : >chicken reminded the Inca of this "hualpa", hence they used the
same name : >for it. There is another quote from Carter that supports this
: >interpretation: "The name for the chicken in the Inca Empire precedes
the : >Spanish by at least two generations, though no one can prove that
it then : >meant chicken."  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^

: Precisely.  That was what I pointed in a post that somehow did not make
this thread.  : It does not suprise me that Acosta wrote about his wonder
of finding words : for egg (runtu) and chicken (wallpa).  Ir surprises me
that Carter and the : reviewers of his article thought that as a big deal.

It's a big deal because here was an early observer who thought the
chickens were pre-Spanish.

And then , it does : not suprise me that Mr Kuchinsky picks up that
quotation...

Neither should it surpise you.

: to dismiss it : as non-important as soon as others notice its
flaws.

And where did you take this from? Are we seeing one more case of the usual
twisting of evidence by certain parties here? All too common... I am not
surprised.

Yuri.

--

             #%    Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto    %#
  --  a webpage like any other...  http://www.io.org/~yuku  --

Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow
astronauts     ======     Vice President Dan Quayle

Follow-Ups: References: