Re: chicken in America: from Asia? (cont.)

In article <58s1k6$k8b@news1.io.org> yuku@io.org (Yuri Kuchinsky) writes:
>The case of the Incas is extremely curious. When the Spanish arrived
>to Peru, they found chickens extremely well established and widely
>used in religious rituals. The name of the last Inca, Atahualpa is
>connected with the word "chicken". Also the name of his uncle.
>
>      Either these men were named after the chicken, or the chicken
>      was named after them. Garcilaso de la Vega says that the
>      chicken was named in memory of Atahualpa so that each time the
>      cock crowed, he would be remembered. This leaves unexplained
>      the naming of Atahualpa's uncle. (p. 200)

I don't understand why Carter thinks this is a problem.  If Atahualpa was
named after his uncle and the chicken was named after Atahualpa why
is this a problem for the naming of the uncle?  The uncle was given his
name by his parents, end of story.

In case that doesn't make sense, my grandfather's name is Peter, I'm named
after him.  If someone named an animal Pete after me what problem
would that pose for the naming of my grandfather?

Peter van Rossum
PMV100@PSU.EDU

Follow-Ups: References: