Re: chicken in America: from Asia? (cont.)

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.961214112916.16943A-100000@helium.gas.uug.arizona.edu>, Jeffrey says...

>Or, perhaps "hualpa" was the name of a bird indigineous to the Andes. The
>chicken reminded the Inca of this "hualpa", hence they used the same name
>for it. There is another quote from Carter that supports this
>interpretation: "The name for the chicken in the Inca Empire precedes the
>Spanish by at least two generations, though no one can prove that it then
>meant chicken."                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Precisely.  That was what I pointed in a post that somehow did not make this thread.
It does not suprise me that Acosta wrote about his wonder of finding words
for egg (runtu) and chicken (wallpa).  Ir surprises me that Carter and the
reviewers of his article thought that as a big deal.  And then , it does
not suprise me that Mr Kuchinsky picks up that quotation... to dismiss it
as non-important as soon as others notice its flaws.

Now, regarding Lama glama and Lama pacos, the Spaniards readily called them
"carneros de la tierra" or "native sheep" to distinguish them from the
"carneros de Castilla".  Of course it would be amusing to find somebody
suggesting that South American camelids were in Europe, more precisely Spain,
before the Columbian exchange.

Your assertion on "wallpa" goes straight to the point.  There are many birds
in the Andes that have names beginning with "wall..":  Wallata, wallichu, etc.
come to mind (my Runa-simi is rather rudimentary).  I would check with a
Kechwa linguist to find out what is known about "wallpa".

For some reason, Wayna Kapaq, the last great ruler of the Andes, named several
of his children with the Wallpa apellative.  Waskar's original name was
(from memory here) Inti Cusi Wallpa. I would try to find out later (laundry,
you know) if Guaman Poma and Santacruz Pachacuti or others mention that.

There are many words from Runa-simi that have been lost as well.

Hope this helps.

Domingo.

P.S. Pavo real, by the way, literal translation could also be "royal peacock"
And in US English, maize is called with a pre-Columbian word: corn.

Follow-Ups: References: