Re: Amerindian navigators and Eurocentrism in scholarship

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997 10:19:30 -0700, Mary Grether
<psycomom@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Peter Ceresole wrote:
>>
>> In article <hgibbons-ya02408000R1609972210340001@news.idt.net>,
>> hgibbons@spamproof.stic.net (Hugh Gibbons) wrote:
>>
>> >How are you going to get fresh water from ocean fish?
>>
>> Salt water fish have fresh water inside them. When I was very small, my dad
>> bought a herring from some fishermen, cut it open and gave me some to
>> taste. The liquid in the tissue was fresh water.
>>
>> Come to think of it, sushi doesn't taste salty does it?

>A long time ago, I heard that fish had something like a bladder(not
>right word) in their body that held fresh water, seems like near their
>head. could be wrong on that one.

	Many fish have an air bladder for bouyancy. (probably contains
CO2, never asked) I can not see a value in a fresh water bladder.

=====
Any sufficiently convoluted argument can be made to appear to be science
as the layman equates incomprehensibility with science.