Re: Amerindian navigators and Eurocentrism in scholarship

Inger Johansson (ingere.johansson@swipnet.se) wrote:
: Ron Hopkins-Lutz <ronhl@juno.com> skrev i inlägg
: <5vhmdf$ddl$1@news.megsinet.net>...

: > I don't think the issue of fresh water has every been addressed well.
The :  : > reading I have done has always left me doubting that the
supplies really : could : > be adequate. Where are we on this? Water is
the number one problem for : ships : > of any time period, inclluding
today, on long voayges.

: This to is a knowledge given from an older generation to a younger:
: If You are at sea and use a skin(now a days maybe plastic products) at the
: top of Your boat and a kettle close under You may have condense (as You
: could in the dessert) to help You when Your proviant of fresh water are all
: finished.

This is quite interesting, Inger. We have discussed before in these ngs
how fresh water unavailability may have been an obstacle to long distance
ocean travel, but this was not mentioned before: using condensate.

: It´s also possible for a shorter time to drink seawater if you use two
: different lichens and cinders from a fire as a filter before drinking.
: That´s not the major problem.

This is also new to me: using a filter. But it may work.

But also don't forget the rains, a source of fresh water! And obtaining
fresh water from fish they coould catch.

Best regards,

Yuri.

Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto -=O=- http://www.io.org/~yuku

It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than
to put out on the troubled seas of thought -=O=- John K. Galbraith