Re: Amerindian navigators and Eurocentrism in scholarship

I have no idea what you mean when you say this is racism.  You must be
using a very narrow definition of race.  If the rebels in Chiapas are
not of the same race as most Mexicans, Frenchmen must be of a different
race than Belgians.  Or maybe several races, all of them different from
Belgians.

That aside, why do you think one group of people, typically, seeks to
expand its influence and control, if not to promote its own economic
interests?  What gain is there in disrupting the activities of your
neighbors if you can't make a buck from it?  In my view, people are
primarily motivated by economic considerations.  Race serves typically
as a pretext for members of one group to gain an advantage.

In Latin America, many leaders have bent enormous effort to centralizing
control.  This means outlying groups and native populations have to be
brought under the authority of the government.  Maybe this is motivated by
racism, but I don't think so.  I think it's motivated by a desire to
exploit these populations exactly the way they exploit the main of their
populations.

--
*                     NO                         *
*          I will not send you money.            *