Re: Amerindian navigators and Eurocentrism in scholarship

On 11 Sep 1997 05:12:04 GMT, yuku@globalserve.net (Yuri Kuchinsky
17784) wrote:

>Jeffrey L Baker (jbaker@U.Arizona.EDU) wrote:
>: On 9 Sep 1997, Yuri Kuchinsky 17784 wrote:

>: > The fact is that the Natives had those skills. This is beyond doubt.
>Even : > the brutal Spanish colonialists accepted this! And what our
>enlightened : > professors object to? That in my post I gave no footnotes
>-- and therefore : > this didn't happen! What kind of logic is this? Whole
>reams of footnotes : > have been posted already -- did they pay attention.
>Noooo!  : >

>: When has anyone on this group ever said the natives didn't have very
>: advanced capabilities.

>Well, they're saying that the Natives didn't have these skills to build
>ships and to navigate the ocean. This is false and diminishes Amerindian
>achievements.

	Interestingly there was a stone found in a mound that is in fact
a piece of the moon. Therefore we are denigrating their achievements
in space exploration.

	I fail to see the difference.

=====
Any sufficiently convoluted argument can be made to appear to be science
as the layman equates incomprehensibility with science.