Re: Ad Yurii Gloriam (Was Re: maize in ancient india: strong transpacific links are indicated)

Katrina Worley (kworley@csus.edu) wrote:
: In article <5bt7i6$45f@nnrp1.toronto.ican.net>, yuku@io.org (Yuri
: Kuchinsky) wrote:

: > Unless you specifically excavate the human settlements from a _specific
: > time period_, in _specific locations_ to investigate these matters, your
: > point is mute...
: >

: No, the point is still valid.  If maize were common enough in India to
: allow for the genetic variation and widespread appearance in carvings that
: you are claiming, then it would show up in a variety of sites and someone,
: somewhere, sometime would have identified it as such.

Katrina,

How do you know this will not happen in the future? Do you have a
chrystal ball? Perhaps it would help to keep in mind that very few if any
settlements from the time period in question have been excavated. If your
information indicates otherwise, please specify.

This whole thing is very similar to the pre-Columbian chicken in America
debate we've had recently. In that case, George Carter actually cited
_possible_ pre-Columbian chicken bones that _were found_. 20 years later,
it turns out that NO ONE EVEN BOTHERED TO DATE THOSE BONES. Nothing more
was heard about them.

Why not?

Yuri.

: Having spent my
: share of time screening backdirt, I can't imagine consistantly missing
: something the size maize kernals, much less cobs.

: Katrina

--
            =O=    Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto    =O=
  --- a webpage like any other...  http://www.io.org/~yuku ---

*** PLEASE NOTE *** my Address and Webpage Location to change soon ***
         this address will remain valid: bg364@torfree.net

We should always be disposed to believe that that which
appears white is really black, if the hierarchy of the
Church so decides       ===      St. Ignatius of Loyola

Follow-Ups: References: