Re: Ad Yurii Gloriam (Was Re: maize in ancient india: strong transpacific links are indicated)

Eva Kifri (ek@idiom.com) wrote:
: Yuri Kuchinsky (yuku@io.org) wrote:

: : Lets try this. You go to the bookstore to buy a certain book. Would
your : : chances of finding this book be better if you were actually
looking for it : : in the bookstore? Or -- if you were wandering
aimlessly among the isles : : waiting for that book to fall off its shelf
into your lap -- by itself?

: : Think about it and let me know about the outcome of your
deliberations...

:       No Yuri, your analogy is flawed. Let's try to fix it up so that
:       you may understand.
:       You go to the bookstore to discover what books they have. You
:       walk along the stacks inch by inch working methodically to
:       catalogue each title and it's precise location. After you have
:       spent hours (weeks, years) in this painstakingly recording the
:       contents and arrangement of this bookstore, I ask you if you
:       found XYZ book there. You say they haven't got it. I say "But
:       you don't know because you weren't looking for it. Go start
:       again."
:       Think about it and let me know the outcome of your deliberations
:       -eva

Hey, Eva,

I said "you go to the bookstore". I didn't say "you buy the bookstore".

Are you always so humour-challenged?

Yuri.
--
            =O=    Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto    =O=
  --- a webpage like any other...  http://www.io.org/~yuku ---

*** PLEASE NOTE *** my Address and Webpage Location to change soon ***
         this address will remain valid: bg364@torfree.net

We should always be disposed to believe that that which
appears white is really black, if the hierarchy of the
Church so decides       ===      St. Ignatius of Loyola