Re: maize in ancient india: strong transpacific links are indicated

burglin@ubaclu.unibas.ch wrote:

: Exactly, I read the article by Payak & Sachan.
: I was paraphrasing from their article, I found it again:
: Here is part of it:

: "
: Both gods and goddesses are seen to hold an object having a fully
: or partially beaded type of ornamentation in one hand and
: kalash (pitcher) in the other.  The objects are oblong, broadly
: cylindrical, and either conical or reembling a mango fruit shape.
: In some friezes, the male deity is holding an object with only
: partially beaded ornamentation, that is the upper headed half
: has a greater diameter than the lower smooth half (see figure).
: In some sculputres the object is thicker in the middle and tapers
: at both ends.  When some of these objects are
: viewed in isolation, a few of them may appear to resemble a maize
: ear in a gross way because of the beaded type of ornamentation.
: But when all the sculptures are analysed, it becomes evident
: that the objects do not represent a maize ear. "

It becomes "evident" to P & S. So what? The opposite is evident to many
others.

: Obviously Payak and Sachan did look at all the sculptures,
: and that is part of their report.

You assume that they did. And even if they did, it doesn't mean that their
opinion is the right one.

: I am sure there is more in the longer later article.

I read both of their articles. In their ECONOMIC BOTANY article they
mostly defend themselves against the criticism by Veena & Sigamani, the
other two critics of Johannessen. So the critics of J. are bickering
among themselves, which is pretty interesting by itself...

The critics of J. do raise some valid points, but none of them seem like
truly serious objections that invalidate J.

Yuri.
--
            =O=    Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto    =O=
  --- a webpage like any other...  http://www.io.org/~yuku ---

We should always be disposed to believe that that which
appears white is really black, if the hierarchy of the
Church so decides       ===      St. Ignatius of Loyola

Follow-Ups: References: