Re: maize in ancient india: strong transpacific links are indicated

akaulins@aol.com wrote:

: As a lexical matter, : it is of interest to note the : very ancient
Indo-European Latvian term MAIZE which means "bread" and : MIEZHI which
means "barley" - hence the Carib MAHIZ for MAIZE is : interesting. : and,
since much of Latvian is almost identical to Sanskrit....

This is very interesting info, Andis, thanks.

: Who knows?  :
The jury is still out

Well, I think the jury is already in...

	:)

: and I think it will be a long time before a verdict
: is reached.  : In view of the discussion being conducted in "Out of
India", all very : interesting...  : I have not made up my mind yet.  : Is
the relief clearly from India or is it an imported artifact of unknown :
date later integrated into the temple wall?

Well, Andis, the identification of these carvings in the context of the
temples are very secure. There are great numbers of them.

: How has the temple been dated?

These temples were described and dated by local historians way before
anybody paid any attention to these maize carvings.

:  - would be thankful for info.  : - Andis Kaulins (J.D. Stanford
University, 1971)

Best regards,

Yuri.
--
            =O=    Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto    =O=
  --- a webpage like any other...  http://www.io.org/~yuku ---

We should always be disposed to believe that that which
appears white is really black, if the hierarchy of the
Church so decides       ===      St. Ignatius of Loyola