Re: Amerindian navigators

Matt Giwer (mgiwer9|9@primenet.com) wrote:
: On 20 Jul 1997 15:01:42 GMT, yuku@mail.trends.ca (Yuri Kuchinsky)
: wrote:

: >Greetings, : : >This post is based on some passages from : : >PYRAMIDS
OF TUCUME: THE QUEST FOR PERU'S FORGOTTEN CITY, by Thor : >Heyerdahl,
Daniel H. Sandweiss, and Alfredo Narvaez, Thames and Hudson, : >1995.  : :
>What can this book tell us about Amerindian maritime cultures of Peru,
and : >about their possible connections across the Pacific?

: 	Has no one ever found the time to ask just why these people would
: be traveling across the Pacific? Government funded exploration? What
: could possibly be of such value that trade would motivate it? And
: then, where are the trade goods?

Why do people sail anywhere? Fishing and trade.

Trade is very well documented along the coast. Nobody is saying they
traded regularly with the Pacific islands. There was nothing of special
interest for them there anyway.

Yuri.

Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto -=O=- Specializing in factitious
editing of other people's posts since 1997 -=O=- my webpage
is at http://www.io.org/~yuku

Oh, what tangled webs we weave when first we practice to believe