Re: Maize origins [was re: "Corn" in medieval Europe]

> Finan does not indicate whether there were herbals prior to 1539 that
> would have described Turkish Corn if it was present then, or if there
> simply were no herbals prior to that date.  The Turks were into Europe
> from 1453 on, at least.

Tacitatus Sanitatem, versions of which exist in at least two modern
printings (_The Four Seasons of the House of Cerruti_ and _A Medieval
Health Manual_, as I recall), is pre-Columbian, has lots of pictures of
plants, and is based on an Arabic source. I am fairly sure there is
nothing that looks like maize.

David Friedman