Re: Maize origins [was re: "Corn" in medieval Europe]

I don't know if this point has been raised in the discussion, but
according to Finan, John J., _Maize in the Great Herbals_, the reason
Maize was called "Indian Corn" was not, as one what would assume, a
connection with Amerinds, but a misidentification with an "Indian Corn"
described by Pliny. I don't know what Pliny's Indian corn was, but it
might be worth checking to see if it could be whatever is shown in the art
works being discussed.

David Friedman