Re: Ad Yurii Gloriam (Was Re: maize in ancient india: strong transpacific links are indicated)

In article <32DC594C.3411@ix.netcom.com>, matthuse@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:
>
>> Well, I can disprove to you right now that I'm not Anasthasia, the heir to
>> the Russian throne. Or that you are not Napoleon... Historical hypotheses
>> certainly can be disproved through finding new evidence. Perhaps you
>> should brush up on these theoretical considerations...
>
>Sound advice, Yuri.  However, it's not the same thing.  "Proving"
>that something does not exist (for which there is no physical
>evidence) differs greatly from disproving that someone (for whom
>there is physical evidence) is not someone else (for whom there
>is also physical evidence).  Hypotheses need evidence to be
>formulated and need to be testable.

I believe that Yuri could be Anasthasia, as no proof of her death exists, and
no remains of her have been found (at least as far as I know, which is not
much regarding Russian nobility), and also because she could well be alive
based on current ranges of human longevity.

However, I could not possibly be Napoleon, at least the well known Buonaparte,
from Corsica, ca. 1769, crowned Emperor of France, etc., lest you dismiss all
stories about his death and give some plausible explanation of how I managed
to be over 200 years of age.  If you have a sound explanation of how that can
be possible...  No.  Better forget about that, because perhaps you have one
and then we will have to etc.

Again, Yuri's "methods"  are clear from his extremely poor choice of examples.

Regards,

Domingo.

Domingo Martinez-Castilla
agdndmc@showme.missouri.edu