Re: maize in Europe and India: a twisted tale

On 9 Jan 1997, Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:

> But did you see where Johannessen discusses maize pollen in his ECONOMIC
> BOTANY article? He talks about new findings in cores from northern India.
>
> Best,
>
> Yuri.

1976, 1963 and 1966 are "new findings". These are the dates of the
articles that Johannessen sites. Both the 1963 and 1966 study are based
upon the same core (as Johannessen notes on p. 175, the authors of the
1966 report no longer feel that these grains necessarily represent maize).

The 1976 article is by the same author as the 1963 dissertation. Is this
a new core, or just a 13 year delay in publication? (I will check this
out in a couple days, and provide a more thorough critique of the 1966
study).

Yuri, since you seem to feel qualified to dismiss the comments of a
botanist, perhaps you would care to share with us your botanical training
and experience that allows you to make these authoritative statements.

Jeff Baker

Follow-Ups: References: