Re: maize in Europe and India: a twisted tale

GKeyes6988 (gkeyes6988@aol.com) wrote:
: Yuri wrote:
: <snip a long reply to my long post>

: >Also, what about those findings of ancient Indian maize pollen? This is
: >another very relevant direction of research that you haven't mentioned in
: >your post (as if it wasn't long enough already <grin>). Perhaps very soon
: >we will have more evidence on this that will clarify things considerably?
: >I think this, too, is on its way...

: Actually, I just forgot this.  The pollen is equivocal in all cases.
In : some cases the pollen was from secure pre-Columbian contexts but we
don't : know that it was maize pollen, for sure.  At that time they
tended to : guess by the size of the grains, since most grasses (which
include many : crops -- maize, Sorghum, millet, rice -- and many wild or
: semi-domesticates (like Bamboo) have pollen with similar morphology..
The : pollen under discussion is a bit small but just squeaks within the
lower : range of maize (this according to Mangelsdorf and others) -- so
it could : be maize, but it could be other things.

: The question could easily be settled now, of course.

Greg,

But did you see where Johannessen discusses maize pollen in his ECONOMIC
BOTANY article? He talks about new findings in cores from northern India.

Best,

Yuri.
--
            =O=    Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto    =O=
  --- a webpage like any other...  http://www.io.org/~yuku ---

We should always be disposed to believe that that which
appears white is really black, if the hierarchy of the
Church so decides       ===      St. Ignatius of Loyola

Follow-Ups: References: