Re: maize in Europe and India: a twisted tale

On 7 Jan 1997 15:20:26 GMT, yuku@io.org (Yuri Kuchinsky) wrote:

[SMIP]

>If yes, i. e. maize indeed came to India before Columbus, this will be a
>huge breakthrough that will shed much light on research in quite a large
>number of disciplines: archaeology, anthropology, ethnobotany, and
>ancient AND modern history, to name but a few. This will prove beyond any
>reasonable doubt that ancient Americans possessed sailing craft capable
>of crossing the Pacific, that they did cross the Pacific, and that they
>perhaps even had regular links with Asia -- however incredible this may
>sound.

How do you get from pre-1492 maize in India to all these 'amazing' <G> claims?
It might result in new questions to answer, yes. But questions don't shed
light, answers do. And certainly your last sentence has no foundation. Maize
in India at any point can't 'prove beyond any reasonable doubt' anything on
its own, let alone your list.
--
Doug Weller  Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
Submissions to:sci-archaeology-moderated@medieval.org