Re: You Want Evidence of Contact? Here It Is.....

Peter van Rossum (pmv100@psu.edu) wrote:
: In article <5a8vuk$fqp@news1.io.org> yuku@io.org (Yuri Kuchinsky) writes:

: >I suppose Peter never used sarcasm in his postings? Then he must have
a : >double who is posting under his name?  : > : >So what's wrong with
pointing out that someone is being sarcastic?  : > : >Yuri.

: Yuri, I see nothing wrong with saying I put out some sarcastic posts since
: it is a simple matter of fact that I did.  What I object to is that you
: called me Eurocentric, which earlier in the post you juxtaposed with
: racist.  If that is not an insult and an ad hominem attack then I don't know
: what is, especially since the accusation is completely groundless.

Peter,

True, I called you Eurocentrist. That's because I really see Eurocentrism
in some of the attitudes of some of the people here. Sorry, but this is
how I feel. I merely express myself in an honest manner. I don't remember
exactly what was said about racism, but I want to make perfectly clear
that I have never meant to imply that you're racist, and I regret if any
misunderstanding has occurred. I don't like and don't want to use this
sort of extreme language gratuitously.

But Eurocentrism? Well, when you told us that "it would be stupid to
design a project to look for precolumbian chicken bones", this to me
sounded very Eurocentric. What I heard in those words is that "Don't even
consider the possibility of proving with archaeological evidence that
ancient American and Asian peoples found a way to exchange cultural
knowledge before the enlightened Europeans came around and did it for
them!" "This whole idea is stupid!" It really sounded to me as if some
people _don't really want_ to uncover some evidence that would make them
uncomfortable, and that would tell us about some of this hidden history
of the native peoples...

And some of your very heavy sarcasm when referring to these diffusionist
ideas really sounded like, for you, the question is already decided, and
that you already know that NOBODY before the enlightened Europeans could
have done such as an amazing feat as to cross the oceans... Meanwhile, we
know that Asians had superior ocean craft thousands of years before the
Europeans... These are the facts...

Well I think that the ancient Asians and Americans did find a way to do
it! And I don't think it is stupid to design a project to confirm this
possibility, that has plenty of supporting evidence.

Again, sorry for any misunderstandings,

Happy New Year,

Yuri.

--
            =O=    Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto    =O=
  --- a webpage like any other...  http://www.io.org/~yuku ---

We should always be disposed to believe that that which
appears white is really black, if the hierarchy of the
Church so decides       ===      St. Ignatius of Loyola