Re: maize in Europe and India: a twisted tale

Brian (c556987@showme.missouri.edu) wrote:
: Yuri writes:

: > What this material indicates is that the
: > evidence for the antiquity of maize in the Old World is based on
: > both genetic, as well as linguistic and historical research. This
: > evidence appears to be very strong.

: I am no archaeologist, nor am I a linguist. However, I am a biologist,
: and geneticist by college education. The fact that supposed "genetic"
: evidence was presented in 1971 intrigues me, as the usual type of
: molecular genetic analysis to prove lineage (which is the only type of
: evidence applicable here) was not available until the mid 80's.

: I would be interested to know what type of genetic evidence Jeffreys
: presents to support his claims.

Brian,

I may have been imprecise in what I was trying to say. What I meant was,
The evidence for the _great genetic variability_ of maize in the Old
World, and especially in Asia. Such evidence is plentiful, and strongly
indicates the antiquity of this crop in the Old World.

Thank you for the correction.

Regards,

Yuri.

: It may well be that there is some sort
: of genetic lineage analysis technique (a.k.a. phylogenetic analysis)
: available in the 70's of which I am unaware, and I would like to know
: what it was, so as to familiarize myself with it.

--
            =O=    Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto    =O=
  --- a webpage like any other...  http://www.io.org/~yuku ---

We should always be disposed to believe that that which
appears white is really black, if the hierarchy of the
Church so decides       ===      St. Ignatius of Loyola