Re: maize in Europe and India: a twisted tale

Randal Allison (rallison@mail.myriad.net) wrote:
: yuku@io.org (Yuri Kuchinsky) wrote:

: >Also, please note that none of the criticisms seen here so far _even
: >mentioned_ the main supporting evidence for Johannessen besides the
: >carvings. And that is, of course, the OVERWHELMING evidence for a _great
: >genetic variety_ of maize in India, and in Asia generally! (This strongly
: >indicates antiquity.) A pattern of avoidance?

: A pattern of avoidance from you, Yuri?? I went back through your posts
: citing the Johannessen article, and I could not find any OVERWHELMING
: evidence for a _great genetic variety_ of maize in India, or in Asia
: generally! What sources are you referring to here? Any three botanists,
: agronomists, archaeologists, &c. would suffice, if they have evidence, not
: supposition, that there was maize from New World origins in India and Asia
: prior to the 15th Century. Maize is an incredibly hardy little beggar, and
: its presence in the floral assemlage of a site, especially if its was a
: part of the diet, is virtually impossible to miss.

Randy,

I'm glad you picked up on this important matter. Indeed, what about this
great genetic variety? You may have pointed to a possible weakness in
Johannessen's presentation. Of course he was limited in the issues he
could bring up by the editorial format of his article (the space was
limited). But he could have probably paid more attention to this matter of
genetic variety to strengthen his case.

Meanwhile, I don't see how you missed this part of my posting that you

[quote]