Re: maize in ancient india: strong transpacific links are indicated

Douglas Weller (dweller@ramtops.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: On 28 Dec 1996 20:38:55 GMT, kay@hub.fern.com (Kay Lancaster) wrote:

: >The pictures I've seen are not convincing to me, although they do
: >strongly resemble some types of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench),
: >an old world grain closely related to maize, long cultivated in India.

: Yuri, have you or are you planning to do a comparison of the sculptures in
: question with other plants, eg sorghum, found in India?

I already did. Sorghum grain is in a panicle rather than in an ear as in
corn. And the photos from India clearly show ears of corn, some of them
partially dehusked. Not persuasive.

Yuri.
--
            =O=    Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto    =O=
  --- a webpage like any other...  http://www.io.org/~yuku ---

We should always be disposed to believe that that which
appears white is really black, if the hierarchy of the
Church so decides       ===      St. Ignatius of Loyola