Re: Yuri's smoking guns (was: Testing Gourd Diffusion?

On 29 Dec 1996 21:20:16 GMT, yuku@io.org (Yuri Kuchinsky) wrote:

>Douglas Weller (dweller@ramtops.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>: On 29 Dec 1996 06:37:18 GMT, yuku@io.org (Yuri Kuchinsky) wrote:
>: >mjl@dejanews.com wrote:
>
>: >: This is true, our 1995 databases were down for a couple of weeks
>while we : >: reconfigured them for some new hardware.  We really don't
>like to remove : >: databases from service, but in this case it was
>necessary.  They're back now.
>
>: >Thank you for your explanation, Maurice. I've always had the highest
>: >regard for the services provided by DejaNews, so I assumed that if I
>: >could not find some old posts it indicated that they do not exist.
>
>: Perhaps you owe others an apology, Yuri? After all, there was a notice
>on the : Dejanews pages about this which you obviously missed, and we all
>know what you : think about people who miss something in a post!
>
>Well, today's search of DejaNews revealed that, up to Oct. 96, in the
>newsgroup sci.archaeology.mesoamerican, there were
>
>0 hits for the keyword "johannessen" and
>
>1 hit for the keywords "economic botany" (in a post by J. Baker, this
>summer) -- unrelated to the recent discussion.
>
>Perhaps the apologies should be going the other way after all?

Why? Are you accusing people of lying about the discussion?  It took place,
although I'm almost positive 'johannessen' wasn't in the subject field. I
don't know why you didn't try maize, I don't know why you didn't try
sci.archaeology.  It might have been too far back for dejanews, but it
definitely occurred!

--
Doug Weller  Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
Submissions to:sci-archaeology-moderated@medieval.org