Re: maize in Europe and India: a twisted tale

Yuri writes:

> What this material indicates is that the
> evidence for the antiquity of maize in the Old World is based on
> both genetic, as well as linguistic and historical research. This
> evidence appears to be very strong.

I am no archaeologist, nor am I a linguist. However, I am a biologist,
and geneticist by college education. The fact that supposed "genetic"
evidence was presented in 1971 intrigues me, as the usual type of
molecular genetic analysis to prove lineage (which is the only type of
evidence applicable here) was not available until the mid 80's.

I would be interested to know what type of genetic evidence Jeffreys
presents to support his claims. It may well be that there is some sort
of genetic lineage analysis technique (a.k.a. phylogenetic analysis)
available in the 70's of which I am unaware, and I would like to know
what it was, so as to familiarize myself with it.

Thanks,
Brian Hossfeld
c556987@showme.missouri.edu

Follow-Ups: References: