Re: chicken in America: from Asia? (cont.)

In article <5a41vd$4rp@news1.io.org> yuku@io.org (Yuri Kuchinsky) writes:
>Peter van Rossum (pmv100@psu.edu) wrote:
>
>: Yuri, how is a question of personalities to ask you why you believe that
>: archaeologists have either missed or covered up the finding of Precolumbian
>: South American chicken bones?

>Peter,

>I will explain this for you and Doug very slowly, using only short and
>easily understood words, so there's no misunderstanding. Obviously your
>introduction to scholarly methodology may have a few lacunae (oops, a
>complicated word, better look it up in the dictionary), for you to ask
>for this explanation.

That was funny :).

>It is not my "belief" that we are talking about here. I'm simply quoting
>George F. Carter who suggested this theory. Any complains about
>insufficient understanding of the professionalism and diligence, whatever,
>of archaeologists should be directed to him. As all your other
>emotion-laden appeals for more respect for archaeologists and their
>expertise.

Yes we are talking about your "belief" or your opinion if you will.  It
has been stated countless times that so far no Precolumbian South American
chicken bones have been reported.  You have been asked what is your
opinion for this lack of supporting archaeological data and on what you
base that judgement.  If that is a personal attack then it is clear that
any question can be construed as a personal attack.

>My _personality_, and/or my _personal_ experience of excavations are
>completely irrelevant here. I will not descend to your level and engage in
>a personalistic squabble as you two, and quite a few others, so fervently
>desire. I have more important things to do, i.e. scholarship.
>Yuri.

Its not a personalistic squabble, I'm just trying to ascertain why you
hold the position you do.  If you won't answer direct questions I am
forced to rely on my interpretations of what you think.  My personal
interpretation is that you think archaeologists are engaged in some
kind of a coverup.  Its been explained to you countless times by
people who actually know something about archaeology and archaeologists
that this is a ridiculous conclusion. My interpretation may not be correct
but if you won't tell me what you believe then that's what I'll have to
go with.

Peter van Rossum
PMV100@PSU.EDU