Re: Atawallpa was no chicken (It was Re: chicken in America: from Asia? (cont.))

Domingo Martinez-Castilla (agdndmc@showme.missouri.edu) wrote:
: In article <59pt14$o12@news1.io.org>, yuku@io.org (Yuri Kuchinsky) wrote:

: >So? Some people think chickens have something to do with their names, and
: >some people think they don't... Who's the judge?

: Science, I guess?  That is why I look for references.  Besides you
(because I : am sure that Carter, wherever he is, will accept Itier's and
other linguists' : interpretation when handed to him), I do not know
anybody else claiming that : Atawallpa's name was in anyway related to
chickens.  Ooops..  Sorry, I forgot : padre Jose de Acosta, who wrote
in... 1589?

Well, Domingo, obviously you haven't read Carter, or else your reading
skills need some polishing. Carter gives this on p. 200: Nordenskiold, an
important scholar of early agriculture, accepts the connection of
Atawallpa and the chicken. Also Garcilaso de la Vega, an observer in the
16 c.

: >There's plenty of evidence in Carter that they were used in religious and
: >cultic contexts. There's also plenty about use in cockfighting, etc. How
: >did you manage to miss it?

: Gimme one for the Andes, puleeeze?  (Again, early.)

Carter does not give such evidence. You may have pointed to a weakness in
his argument here. This is something that may need to be investigated
further, as such evidence should be available from a variety of sources.

: I have remote access only to current (1990 to
: date) data bases, and I could not find a George Carter's mention in the
: appropriate places (i.e. archaeology, history, botany, etc.).  I would be
: delighted if you could tell me his address, so I can send him the references
: re Atawallpa's name.

: (By the way, I only work at the U of Missouri, my last course work and comps
: having been 8 years ago.  And anyway, I would take advice of how to get
: references by almost anyone else but you.

Too bad. I could have given you a couple of pointers...

The Library of Congress lists 3 books by Carter. One of them in multiple
editions. Ask your friendly librarian how to connect to this useful
database.

As for looking for articles, there are any number of them. Looking for
articles is more tricky. U of T is using a variety of databases, such as
Wilson -- there're many of them out there, and also the CD-ROMs. Again,
ask the librarians who are usually happy to help -- if they are done with
the pressing gossip.

Yuri.

             #%    Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto    %#
  --  a webpage like any other...  http://www.io.org/~yuku  --

Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow
astronauts     ======     Vice President Dan Quayle