Re: Yuri's smoking guns (was: Testing Gourd Diffusion?

In article <59p1vf$cm5@news1.io.org>, Yuri Kuchinsky <yuku@io.org> wrote:
>dunkers@king.cts.com wrote:
>
>C. Johannessen, and A. Parker, MAIZE EARS SCULPTURED IN 12TH AND 13TH
>CENTURY A.D. INDIA AS INDICATORS OF PRE-COLUMBIAN DIFFUSION, in ECONOMIC
>BOTANY, 1989, 43(2): 164-180.
>
>The title just about says it all. I will post a synopsis of this article
>very soon.

Yuri, this isn't new...we discussed it about a year ago in this very
newsgroup and found it less than convincing...take a look at the
posts in DejaNews before dragging it up again, please.

I, for one, am getting tired of this.  Not because I think the topic isn't
interesting, because it is.  Its because the standards of evidence you
use are so poor.  You don't just pick an article and say "here, see,
someone said it so it must be true."  You do have to look at what others
have said in reply to the article, and deal with their support or rejection.
I know its a major task, and if you did it, you could probably write
and publish, but it needs to be the backgroud you argue from.

Scholars say stupid things in print all the time.  Archaeologists in
particular, get to say lots of stupid and unsupportable things because
there are too many places to get published (IMHO).  Few disciplines have
the number of outlets we do.

The fact is, you're trying to do something that scholars have been unable to
sustain, so far;  come up with evidence that unequivocally shows significant
trans-pacific contact took place.  There are arguments, and scholars, on both
sides of this.  Right now, the majority would say that the evidence isn't
convincing, but that doesn't mean we won't look at new evidence.

Keep looking and reading.  There are several arguments for trans-pacific
contact you haven't developed yet, but corn is one we dealt with here
already.

rus

--
	Rus Sheptak			Internet:	rus@world.std.com