Re: Yuri's smoking guns (was: Testing Gourd Diffusion?

dunkers@king.cts.com wrote:
:    In regard to Yuri's 'smoking gun', perhaps he could be referring to
: the genetic studies out of Emory University which show a mitochondrial
: DNA haploid gene in Central America with no analogues to the North, or
: South: obviously waterborn....

Hi, dunkers,

Yes, I've looked into that recently. But this sort of research cannot
offer definite proof yet, as I understand it.

: or perhaps he is referring to the work of
: Rebecca Cann, a geneticist with the University of Hawaii, who is tracing
: the one Cosmopolitan lineage that came across the Pacific in pre-historic
: times.

I'm not familiar with this.

: Of course, isolationists will forever deny any 'smoking gun'.
: There are those who believe O.J. is innocent, too.

Well, this maize stuff is basically what I needed. As close to definite
proof of _extensive_ trans-pacific contacts very early on as anyone can
desire. So, now, to break the suspense, I will give the ref. I'm
referring to the work of C. Johannessen.

C. Johannessen, and A. Parker, MAIZE EARS SCULPTURED IN 12TH AND 13TH
CENTURY A.D. INDIA AS INDICATORS OF PRE-COLUMBIAN DIFFUSION, in ECONOMIC
BOTANY, 1989, 43(2): 164-180.

The title just about says it all. I will post a synopsis of this article
very soon.

Best,

Yuri.