Re: Amerindian navigators and Eurocentrism in scholarship

In article <bortiz-0709972340280001@ip187.birmingham4.mi.pub-ip.psi.net>, bortiz@earthlink.net (Bernard Ortiz de Montellano) writes:
> In article <5uvasm$n7p$1@titan.globalserve.net>, yuku@globalserve.net

> Please note that no primary reference is given for this story. Or for
> anything else in this post. Instead of running around in all directions,
> Yuri. Please post the primary references that prove that *C. moneta* cowry
> shells came from the Maldive Islands to the New World. Keep in mind
> Lawrence's post on the existence of twin species in different locales and
> the diffuculty in distinguishing between them.

And note that proving that the claimed specimens are in fact
*C. Moneta* from the Maldives (and not some similar new-world species)
may be very difficult indeed.

Lawrence Feldman (lawrenc846@aol.com posted an interesting response
about identifying molluscs.  I think it's relevant here; since Paul
gans has been trimming the distribution to sci.archaeology only, and
Lawrence Feldman's article was posted to sci.archaeology.mesoamerican
only, and with a different Subject: line, I'm reposting the entire
article here.  (*without* permission, I hope that's okay.)

---------